Monday, March 23, 2009

Poker...on ESPN. Really?!

ESPN, also known as the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, has always been, in my mind, a channel that should (and usually does) focus on sports. I mean, the word "sports" is even in the name. But over the past few years, there has been a new "sport" (not really) that has been being covered by ESPN, poker. More specifically, Texas Hold 'Em, one of the most popular card games on earth.

So I understand why these poker tournaments would be televised (Yes, I watched them a few times, but they get boring). But do they really have to be shown on ESPN?!

It's a network that is dedicated solely to physical sports (or so I thought), but poker clearly isn't one of them. People can make the argument that poker is a mental sport and deserves to be covered. But I haven't seen one other "mental" sport on ESPN.

So please ESPN, televise the real sports, and leave the poker for another channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment