Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh...hey

Well sorry to all of you readers (I am assuming no one as of now) who have no idea who I am and why I'm writing this blog. Let me take a few minutes to tell you.

My name is Tobin (if you haven't figured that out by now there might be a problem). I am a caucasian, white male who lives on a cul-de-sac in Fairfield County, Connecticut. I know that's a little stereotypical, but it's true. I am a senior in high school who is constantly at odds with senioritis and the fear of actually going to college.

It took me a long time thinking of what I could focus on using this blog. My travels? School? Economy? All good topics, but none really interested me so much as to write about them every day. So I chose sports. If you know me, then you know I am not the most athletic person in the world, but this is the closest I'm going to get to being apart of sports (just bear with me). Like most other kids in my town, I played every sport possible as a kid. Well not EVERY sport, but the usuals (i.e. baseball, basketball, soccer, and football for about 3 weeks in 6th grade). As soon as I started playing sports, I was following them on a professional level. Since Connecticut has no real sports teams and my parents were from New York, I took a liking to New York teams: the football Giants, the Yankees, and the Knickerbockers. The Yankees took precedence over all other teams. I LOVED them. Out of superstition, I used to watch every game in my basement alone. I needed my Yankee hat, my wiffle ball bat, a tennis ball, and my mitt. When the Yankees were batting, I'd swing with them (even imitating their swings). When they were in the field, I'd throw the tennis ball at the wall like a pitch, and then field it like I would a ground ball.

Ok, you get it? I was crazy. But once I hit puberty and realized that I didn't have the athletic ability to be a professional in any sport, I dropped everything all at once. No more playing sports for me, I didn't need sports. Boy was I wrong. After playing sports for almost my whole life, within a few weeks I was pining for something new. My parents sent my brothers and I to a golf camp in Vermont for two weeks during the summer and it was over. I was hooked. Golf, the "sport" that I couldn't stand to watch and would've hated to play, had caught my interest.

So after my little tangent about my life in sports, let me get back to why I'm actually writing about them. My simple answer, IT'S FUN. I enjoy little more than debating over which team is better, rules of sports, the best players, competency of referees, and of course, scandals. If you ever watch ESPN, you can see shows solely debating those topics every single day (i.e. "Around the Horn"--even though I don't particularly like that show at all).

That's why I'm writing this blog. Yes, I got a little incentive to do so because it was a school assignment. But this is something I've always wanted to do. Sports, whether you watch them or not, affect everyone's daily lives, whether it be directly or indirectly.

Tobin, Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment